Nerf guns are pressurized toy guns that kids have been playing with for many years. These guns are capable of firing foam Nerf ammunition at high velocity for more than 300 feet. Instead of spending lots of money on a classy Nerf gun at a toy shop, you can make one of your own with inexpensive parts from your local home improvement store.
1. Poke a hole with a pair of scissors in the middle of an empty 2-liter soda bottle. The hole should be small enough to create an entry point for the spout of the basketball pump.
2. Insert the basketball pump spout into the hole of the 2-liter soda bottle. Cut out the hose from the spout if there is one, as the hose piece will be an unnecessary component of the gun. Seal the connection with Gorilla Glue, and ensure that the seal is air tight.
3. Glue a 5-inch length of the 1/2-inch-diameter PVC pipe onto the neck of the bottle. This will serve as the joint which connects the bottle to the PVC ball valve.
4. Attach the PVC ball valve to the 5-inch length of PVC pipe connecting to the soda bottle. The PVC ball valve will serve as the trigger to release the high-pressure air contained within the pumped bottle and launch your Nerf ammo.
5. Connect and glue the 24-inch PVC pipe onto the PVC ball valve to create the barrel. This will be the section of your Nerf gun where ammo will be inserted for firing.
6. Glue two pieces of 6-inch dowel on either side of the bottle, leading down toward the basketball pump. You can also use duct tape, so long as there is a firm grip between the two pieces. This will serve as the handle for your gun.
7. Ensure that all connective joints are sealed air tight with Gorilla Glue. Pump the basketball pump to apply air pressure into the 2-liter soda bottle. Insert a Nerf ammo into the barrel. Twist the PVC ball valve switch open to release the pressurized air in the bottle to fire.