With the prices for firearms being fairly high and the interest in them by young kids growing, an alternative that covers both the ownership and the need for safe handling can be found in airsoft rifles. There are three different types of airsoft rifles: spring, electric and gas. With each of those are a vast array of styles and accessories. Each has its own unique properties, and each differ in price.
1. Decide which style suits your needs the best. There are airsoft pistols which utilize gas or spring action and are incredibly realistic looking. Some come with the tactical rails found on real pistols that allow you to attach lights and lasers sights on them. They usually have a foot-per-second rating of lower than an airsoft rifle. Airsoft rifles come in all shapes and styles. There are AK47s, M16s, H&K MP5 versions and certain varieties of sniper rifles which are rated up to more than 550 feet per second. These are usually operated electrically or by gas, though some of the lower end are spring action.
2. Shop online for price comparisons. There are numerous dealers online and prices will vary depending on the type gun you buy. Your local hobby shop will also stock a limited variety of airsoft guns and BBs for use in the guns. The benefit to this is that you can try out the guns first in the store before you buy them.
3. Look online for used airsoft guns as well. Many times, someone is selling an airsoft gun to upgrade to a newer style, and the gun for sale has minimal usage. There are many stores which go out of business and sell their guns online at sites like www.craigslist.com to recoup some of their investment.
4. Place your order with whichever vendor has the best price. If you have been able to find one that you tried and liked, do a search online for the best price and buy there. Again, you will more than likely have to have someone at least 18 years of age purchase the gun. This law also requires every airsoft gun to have a blaze orange barrel tip to prevent any confusion with a real gun..
5. Use your new airsoft gun responsibly and in areas that are safe for shooting. Keep it well maintained and lubricated for years of safe and regular use.