Fisher-Price has a nice line of infant toys including rattles, teethers, activity toys and stuffed animals.
Rattles and Teethers
1. Consider the age of the baby you are shopping for. You can buy almost any infant toy for a newborn, because he or she will grow into it.
2. Be sure to buy something that a baby over 6 months old will be interested in. Rattles and teethers won’t have as much use as other toys.
3. Notice the rattles and teethers available. The Bear Dumbbell ($3), Dog and Puppy Teether ($5), and Juggling Lion ($8) are safe, bright toys that babies will enjoy.
4. Note that the Peaceful Planet Sunflower Rattle ($5) makes rain noises. The Sweet Squeaks Toys ($4) are soft, squeaky toys in the shape of food, such as ice cream cones, pies and muffins.
5. Be aware that most of the rattles and teethers are designed for ages 3 months to 1 year.
6. Look at the types of stuffed animals Fisher-Price makes for babies ages 0 to 3 years. The Peaceful Planet line offers cute animals such as a bunny, a mouse and a chipmunk.
7. Note that all of these toys make sounds on a motion-activated basis. Some also have motion-activated lights. The Peaceful Planet Soothing Sounds Bear has sounds and lights and costs about $14. The animals without lights are $6.
8. Check out the Cozies Cuddly Toys – soft, stuffed animals with satin trim in the $10 price range. Another popular animal is the Bright Expressions Sight, Sound and Touch Wiggle Bug ($6). This colorful bug vibrates when baby touches it.
9. Be sure to look at the activity toys Fisher-Price makes. The Activity Center attaches to a crib and has eleven activities and five sounds for baby to enjoy. It is for ages 4 months to 1 year and costs about $14.
10. Check out the lights and sounds of the 1, 2, 3 Sing Along Puppy ($30), which also attaches to the crib. This item also converts to a walker and is for ages 4 months to 2 years.
11. See that the Slumbertime Soother has music and nature sounds and is designed to help baby sleep. It comes with a remote control so the parent can reactiviate it without going into baby’s room. This is for ages 0 to 3 years and is well worth the $25 pricetag. It is the winner of an Oppenheim SNAP award.
12. Note that the Musical Lights ‘n’ Sounds Gym (ages 0 to 2, $30) and the Activity Links Gym (ages 0 to 2, $19) provide toys that hang above baby as he or she plays on the floor.
13. Consider another interesting floor toy – the Bright Expressions Kick ‘n’ Crawl Playhouse. This starts out as a play quilt for young babies and converts to a crawl-through play tunnel for crawlers (ages 0 to 12 months, $28).