Proper maintenance is essential to the life, durability and accuracy of paintball guns. Paintball guns, also called paintball markers, need to be cleaned and lubricated regularly. Failure to do so can result in jams, broken paintballs and the early retirement of the gun. Guns should be cleaned immediately after becoming soiled in a particularly tough match. If only a few shots are fired, the gun can be cleaned after a few matches. Every month, the gun needs to be stripped down, cleaned thoroughly and lubricated. The gun should always be checked for adequate lubrication before each match.
1. Locate the manual, turn to the schematics and study the assembly diagram for your gun. Disconnect the air supply to the gun, and disassemble the gun according to the schematics. Place the disassembled pieces off to the side in an organized manner. You will need to quickly locate these parts later.
2. Clean the inside of the barrel using the squeegee. Pull the squeegee slowly through the barrel to clean out any leftover paint. Pass the squeegee through the barrel a second time to remove any remaining debris.
3. Wipe down the outside of the barrel using a towel dampened with warm water. Clean the inside of the barrel with the towel as well. Dry thoroughly. Set the barrel to the side.
4. Clean the hammer and bolt using a paper towel and warm water. Allow to dry completely. Inspect the O-rings, and replace any broken or worn rings.
5. Clean the small parts of your gun with a cotton swab soaked in warm water. Clean all of the small parts thoroughly and allow them to dry completely. For stubborn dirt, use a toothbrush or small cleaning brush.
6. Clean the handle using a firm-bristled toothbrush. Pay special attention to the grooves on the grip. Scrub the handle until all of the paint has been removed.
7. Lubricate the gun with an approved lubricant. Lubricate all internal parts including the O-rings. To lubricate the O-rings, spread a thin layer of oil over them using your finger or cotton swab.
8. Double-check all of the parts to ensure they are clean and lubricated. Reassemble the gun according to the schematics.