The sheer magnificence of Zion National Park is apt to be fascinating to kids, and with a little hiking around they’ll be even more amazed at what the park has to offer. The amusements offered here are mostly natural, so kids who love the outdoors will be right at home.
1. See Related eHow “Enjoy Zion National Park” for general information about the park and about the activities available there. Many of these are appropriate for children as well as adults.
2. Consider staying at an all-inclusive resort such as the Zion Ponderosa Ranch. Located on the east rim of the park, the resort offers a kids’ camp, wagon rides, go-carts, guided all-terrain vehicle tours and horse and pony rides – as well as paintball games.
3. Let kids participate in the Junior Ranger program, which runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day. They can pick up a newspaper at the visitor center, complete the required activities and then receive a patch and certificate.
4. Drive the main road. This provides a good overview of the park, and kids can get a look at the geological formations and the stunning landscape. Stop at pullouts and see the sights.
5. Do some hiking. Choose easy trails that kids can handle. These include the Lower Emerald Pool waterfall, the Riverside walk, the Weeping Rock trail and the Canyon Overlook trail.
6. Visit the Zion Canyon Theatre, which shows films in a wide-screen format. Kids will love having the sensation of dangling from cliffs, seeing the canyon from the air and learning of the park’s hidden treasures.