Get a Texas Food Permit
Anyone that opens a restaurant or food service company must abide by the state laws and regulations governing the food service industry. If a person wishes to open a food service company in Texas, he first must get a Texas food permit before serving any food to customers. There may be additional local laws but the Texas food permit is the first step in food service licensing.
1. Gather the necessary information to fill out the Texas food permit application. You will need the registered name of the business, legal name of the owning company, tax payer identification number, the address and phone number of the business and the legal name and title for all of the owners in the food service business.
2. Determine the type of Texas permit you will require for operation of the business. Roadside vendors and mobile food units have different requirements than retail food stores and establishments.
3. Visit the Texas Department of State Health Services website to submit an online application for the Texas food permit. See the resources section for more information.
4. Submit the online application and a fee to obtain the Texas food permit. If you wish, you may mail an application into the Texas Department of State Health Services address listed on their web site. See the resources section for more information.
5. Print the receipt after you submit the application and fees for the Texas food permit. In case there are errors in the process, the receipt provides proof of payment.