Halo is a popular video game that translates into a terrific do-it-yourself costume.
Halo is a popular video game with unusual costumes that can be made with simple materials, determination and patience. A master chief costume can be constructed out of cardboard and green, red or black paint. Follow the simple steps to have a knock-out costume in no time.
1. Cut cardboard or card stock to shape the top visor of the helmet as if you are looking at it from above, allowing for the visor to protrude from the forehead several inches. Cut three slits of equal distance to enable you to bend the cardboard to form the left, top and right plates of the top front of the visor.
2. Cut a 45 degree angle on either side to form the side plates on the top of the helmet.
3. Use another piece of cardboard or card stock to cut the underside of the visor, allowing for ½ to 1 inch at the end to fold up to cover rough edges of the visor.
4. Cut sections of cardboard or card stock to form side and back plates of the helmet.
5. Paste pieces together using spackling glue or another adhesive.
6. Use three pieces of cardboard or card stock to form the bottom of the helmet. Cut one for the mouthpiece, using a utility knife to cut halfway through the cardboard to enable it to bend.
7. Cut cardboard or card stock pieces to make the bottom side plates and the bottom back plate of the helmet.
8. Glue sections together using spackling glue or another adhesive. Allow helmet to dry overnight.
9. Sand the rough spots on the helmet and paint in color of your choice.
10. Cut cardboard or card stock to form the chest plate. Start at the shoulders, cutting pieces to fit each side of the chest. Cut plates for the lower chest, side and back plate.
11. Glue pieces together using spackling glue or another adhesive and allow to dry for 24 hours.
12. Sand the rough spots on the chest plate and paint color of your choice.
13. Construct plates for legs and arms with cardboard, adding Velcro straps to secure them to your body. Separate pieces are needed for thighs, calves, upper arms and lower arms.
14. Wear tight fitting black pants and a long sleeved black shirt with your armor. Add black gloves and a gun constructed out of cardboard or bought and painted black.