A gun suppressor, or “silencer” as it is more commonly know, is designed to muffle the sound of the projectile being fired. You can make a silencer for your Nerf-brand gun using a few supplies commonly found around the house. You will also need adult supervision if you are underage since a cutting edge is needed. The silencer can be used on any Nerf-brand gun, although the amount of sound that will be muffled will vary depending upon whether it uses compressed air or a spring to fire the projectile.
1. Open the pop-tab at the top of the soda can. Pour out the soda into the kitchen sink. Place the soda can in the kitchen sink. Remove the top of the soda can using the can openers. Dispose of the cut off top in the trash.
2. Wash the soda can with tap water and dishwashing liquid. Dry out the soda can with a paper towel. Dispose of the paper towel in the trash. Place the soda can on the kitchen counter. Let the soda can dry for a day.
3. Place a sheet of newspaper on a table. Place the soda can on the newspaper with the open end facing down.
4. Hold the tip of the barrel of the Nerf-brand gun against the center of the top of the soda can. Draw an outline around the tip of the barrel with the grease pencil. Place the Nerf-brand gun aside.
5. Draw a 1-inch vertical line through the center of the outline on the top of the soda can. Draw a 1-inch horizontal line through the center of the outline on the top of the soda can.
6. Cut through the horizontal and vertical lines drawn on the top of the soda can with the blade of the utility knife. Wipe off the grease pencil from the top of the soda can with a paper towel. Dispose of the paper towel in the trash.
7. Push the tip of the Nerf-brand gun into the cut slits in the end of the soda can. Secure the barrel to the soda can with strips of duct tape.
8. Aim your Nerf-brand gun at a far wall. Press the trigger to fire a projectile at the far wall with much less sound being heard now that you have added a silencer to the barrel.