Make a Nerf Rocket Launcher
You can make your own Nerf-style rocket launcher in about an hour. You will need few supplies commonly found around the house or in a hobby store. Adult supervision is also necessary if the project is undertaken by young children since a cutting tool must be used.
1. Place a sheet of newspaper on a table to protect the surface. Place a paper towel tube on the newspaper and spray paint it. Let the paint dry completely (this will take about three hours).
2. Make a small hole using the utility knife three inches from one end of the paper towel tube. Push a nail into the hole, through the paper towel tube, and out the other side.
3. Cut a hole in the side of the paper towel tube with a utility knife four inches away from the nail. Push a nail into the hole, through the paper towel tube, and out the other side. Remove the nail leaving two punctures in the paper towel tube.
4. Place the paper towel tube vertically on the work surface and put a six-inch long spring in it. Remove the nail so the spring can reach the bottom of the paper towel tube. Replace the nail in the hole, through the spring and out the other side.
5. Bend the length of the nail that is sticking out the tube using pliers.
6. Place a table tennis ball (this will be the “rocket”) in the paper towel tube.
7. Hold the table tennis ball in place at the bottom of the paper towel tube using a wooden dowel. Push a nail into the hole in the side of the paper towel tube and out the hole in the other side, and then remove the wooden dowel.
8. Aim the open end of your Nerf-style rocket launcher at a tree or rock and pull the nail out of the side to “fire” the table tennis ball at a safe target.