Make a Paintball Gun From Scratch
Paintball guns, also known as “marker” guns, shoot a projectile that bursts when hitting the target. A paintball gun must have a firing mechanism that will ensure that the projectile fired doesn’t burst prior to finding its target. You can make your own paintball gun using some common household items and a few parts from a hardware store. Your homemade paintball gun might not be pretty as one commercially made, but it will fire a projectile just as effectively.
1. Put newspaper down on your work surface. Place a empty plastic soda bottle down on its side on the newspaper, with the neck of the bottle facing to the left.
2. Hold down the empty plastic soda bottle with your left hand while pushing one of the blades of the scissors through the bottom with your right hand (reverse this for “lefties”).
3. Enlarge the hole by twisting the blade of the scissors in the hole. Stop twisting the blade when the hole is about the same size as the hole at the end of the neck at the other end of the empty soda bottle.
4. Insert the tip of the hose coming from the bicycle pump into the hole at the bottom of the soda bottle. Wrap duct tape around the hose where it meets the bottle.
5. Apply glue from the hot glue gun around the bottom of the soda bottle to adhere the hose of the bicycle pump into the hole. Let the hot glue set for about five minutes. Reapply the hot glue and let it set again for five minutes.
6. Screw one end of the PVC pipe into the PVC pipe valve.
7. Push the other end of the PVC pipe into the hole in the neck of the soda bottle. Stop pushing when the PVC pipe valve lies flush against the neck of the bottle.
8. Apply hot glue around the neck of the bottle to adhere the PVC pipe valve to the neck. Let the hot glue set for five minutes.
9. Turn the valve on the PVC pipe valve to the “closed” position.
10. Pump the bicycle pump about twenty times.
11. Insert a paintball projectile into the open end of the PVC pipe valve.
12. Aim the paintball gun at a target; for example, a tree or bush in your backyard. Release the PVC pipe valve to shoot a paintball at the target.