Airsoft guns, being made of plastic, are inherently noisy. This is especially true of an airsoft gun that uses a spring because the noise of firing the projectile resonates through the barrel. Some of this noise can be mitigated with a silencer. All you need to make one yourself are a few tools and supplies that are easily obtained from a hardware store. Adult supervision is advised if the person making the airsoft gun silencer is a child, as cutting edges will be used.
1. Aim the nozzle of the black paint spray can into a trash bag. Press down on the nozzle. Empty the paint from the black paint spray can into the trash bag.
2. Put the newspaper down on a work table. Put the 1-foot end of the styrofoam block down on the newspaper. Push the bottom of the black paint spray can a few inches into the styrofoam block.
3. Cut down the side of the styrofoam block on both side of the circle made by the black paint spray can with the hacksaw. Cut down the length of the styrofoam block to form a cylinder-shaped chunk.
4. Smooth the sides and ends of the styrofoam cylinder with the edge of another piece of styrofoam.
5. Drill a hole in the center at one end of the styrofoam cylinder using the power drill. Drill halfway through the styrofoam cylinder. Then drill a hole in the center at the other end of the styrofoam cylinder. Stop drilling when the drill bit meets the hole that was drilled in the other end.
6. Place the clamp of the table vise onto the end of the work table. Tighten the clamp. Place the black paint spray can on its side inside of the jaws of the table vise, again making sure the can is fully empty of paint. Tighten the jaws around the spray can.
7. Cut off the bottom lid of the spray can with the hacksaw. Remove the spray cap from the other end of the spray can.
8. Drill a hole in the center of the black paint spray can where the spray cap was using the portable drill. Loosen the jaws of the table vise and remove the spray can.
9. Push the styrofoam cylinder into the bottom of the empty paint can. Stop pushing when the styrofoam cylinder is all the way up inside of the can. Cut off any excess of the styrofoam cylinder with the hacksaw.
10. Cut off the rim from around the bottom lid of the black paint spray can with the hacksaw. Drill a hole through the center of the bottom lid with the portable drill.
11. Apply bonding glue to one side of the bottom lid. Push the side of the bottom lid that has the bonding glue on it into the open end of the black paint spray can. Let the bonding glue dry for a day.
12. Place the end of the barrel of your airsoft gun into the hole of the black paint spray can where the spray cap was.
13. Aim your airsoft gun at a safe target in your backyard–for example, a tree or rock with nobody around it. Note how the usual loud noise made when firing is muted by the silencer.