A paintball gun propels a projectile from inside of a tube using some form of propellant. You can make a spring-powered paintball gun from a few supplies found around the home. You will also need a few common tools and a spring purchased from a hardware store or hobby shop. Your spring-powered paintball gun will require being reloaded after each shot, but otherwise will fire a paintball in a manner similar to any model that is commercially made.
1. Place a sheet of newspaper on a table to protect the surface. Stand the paper towel tube on the newspaper
2. Measure up two inches from the bottom of the paper towel tube. Cut a hole through the sides of the paper towel tube at the two inch mark with the blade of the utility knife.
3. Measure up four inches from the hole that was just cut. Repeat the procedure to cut a hole through the sides of the paper towel tube at the four inch mark.
4. Stand the spring on the newspaper. Lift the paper towel tube. Place the paper towel tube over the spring. Place a nail through the sides of the paper towel tube at the bottom to engage the spring that is inside. Bend the point of the nail with the pliers so it won’t go back into the hole.
5. Place a paintball into the top of the paper towel tube. Insert an end of the wooden dowel into the top of the paper towel tube.
6. Push the paintball down inside of the tube with the end of the wooden dowel. Insert a nail into the holes in the paper towel tube to keep the paintball inside of the tube. Remove the wooden dowel.
7. Go outside in your backyard. Aim your spring-powered paintball gun at a tree or rock. Remove the nail from the holes farthest from you to fire the paintball at the tree or rock.