This is homemade ballistic armor, but not mine.
Do you live in a high crime area? Maybe your an avid outdoors man, who shares his/her space with hunters. Maybe you just like interesting “Arts and Crafts” projects. In this article, I will give you step-by-step instructions about making Ballistics Armor. Armor is completely, 50 state, legal, and, unfortunately, is a good idea for people in certain locations.
1. Lay 10, 10″x30″ sheets of cotton on a hard surface.(Concrete floor, sturdy table, etc.) Flatten them with something heavy, I prefer using a bowling ball. When they are compressed very tightly, saturate with polyester resin, then put 10 more sheets on top of that, and re-flatten them. Repeat this step until your armor is roughly 50 sheets deep, and about 3.5″ thick.
Optional: For added protection, you can add alloy(steel, iron, aluminium) plates between every tenth sheet of cotton, however, this will dramatically increase the weight, and thickness of your finnished armor.
2. Let the stacked, resined sheets dry for 24 hours, in a warm dry location.
3. Wrap the dried stack in a sheet of material. Seal the wrapping materials with super glue.
4. Now, you should have a 4″ thick stack of resin hardened fabric(Unless you used metal plates, then it could be much thicker.) Apply 1 coat of Fiberglass resin(Font, back,and sides.), every 3 hours for 9 hours, then, let the plate dry for a further 24 hours.
5. When the plate is completely dry, and has 3 coats of Fiberglass resin, sand the surface down, gently, until it is smooth.
6. Now, all you need is a plate carrier, which I will teach you build in my next article.