Just as paintball splatters are random, yours do not need to be perfect.
You now have permission to throw food. Splats for a paintball cake require throwing icing to create the random shape of spatters from being hit by a paintball. These shapes make your cake look like it was attacked by a paintball gun. The paintball splats need to be made at least two days ahead of time to allow the shapes to harden before putting on the cake. Neon food coloring, available in supermarkets and cooking stores, gives these splats their distinctively bright coloring, resembling the shades used for paintballs. Add this to my Recipe Box.
1. Whisk together one egg white and 1 cup of powdered sugar with neon food coloring to reach a thick paste of the desired color.
2. Line a baking pan with wax paper.
3. Scoop up a spoonful of the colored icing with a teaspoon.
4. Fling the icing onto the wax paper to make a splat shape. Repeat throwing the icing onto the wax paper to make the paintball splats.
5. Leave the splats at room temperature, uncovered for one to two days or until hardened.
6. Peel the shapes off the wax paper for putting onto the cake.