Airsoft rifles that use a spring can shoot a projectile farther than those powered by air or rubber bands and are more accurate than pistols because they have longer barrels. Make your own spring-powered airsoft rifle to use for target practice with a few parts purchased from a hardware store. The spring-powered airsoft rifle will not take more than an hour or two to make and can shoot a projectile a long way.
1. Put the newspaper down on a table. Put the PVC pipe down on the newspaper.
2. Measure 6 inches from one end of the PVC pipe, using a tape measure. Place a mark at the 6-inch measurement, using the pencil. Measure up from the pencil mark 14 inches. Make another mark at this point with the pencil.
3. Drill a hole in the PVC pipe at the pencil marks, using the portable drill. Place the PVC cap on the end of the PVC pipe closest to the hole made 6 inches from the end.
4. Apply bonding glue around the PVC cap to hold it to the PVC pipe. Let the bonding glue set for at least a day.
5. Insert the spring into the open end of the PVC pipe and slide it down to the other end. Insert a screw into the hole closest to the PVC cap so it goes through the end of the spring.
6. Insert one end of the wooden dowel into the open hole of the PVC pipe and push down on the spring so that it goes as close to the hole nearest the PVC cap as possible. Insert a screw into the other hole to hold the spring back as you pull out the wooden dowel.
7. Rub a piece of modeling clay into a ball between the palms of your hands. Drop the ball of modeling clay into the open end of the PVC pipe.