The CO2 cartridge propels the paintball.
Paintball guns use CO2 cartridges to propel the paintball out of the gun. CO2 cartridges come in a variety of sizes, such as 9 and 16 ounces. If you fill the cartridges yourself, you have to make sure that you don’t overfill them as the CO2 can expand, blowing up the cartridge. To ensure that you fill the cartridge with the appropriate amount, measure the cartridge when it’s empty and then as you fill it.
1. Find the capacity of your CO2 cartridge. This number is stamped, in ounces, on the outside of the tank.
2. Place your empty CO2 cartridge on the scale and reset your scale to zero.
3. Attach your CO2 cartridge to your fill tank and tighten the knob.
4. Set the cartridge on the scale. Open the valve on the fill tank and begin filling your CO2 cartridge.
5. Watch the scale as your cartridge fills. Turn off the valve when the scale registers 1 to 2 ounces below the limit of your cartridge. For example, if you have a 9 ounce cartridge, turn off the valve when the weight reaches 7 or 8 ounces.