If you want to improve the appearance of your vehicle, one of the simplest and most noticeable ways to do so is by getting a new paint job. Having a new paint job professionally done for your car can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Many drivers have found that they can do their own paint job less expensively. If you want to give your car an inexpensive paint job that still looks great, try painting it with an electric spray painter.
1. Wash the car. Try to remove all caked on dirt and grease. Grease will really prevent your paint job from sticking.
2. Cover the parts of the car that you don’t want to get paint on with heavy paper. Brown craft paper that is used for wrapping packages works well. Duct tape around the paper for a secure hold. Cover windows, grills, door handles, lights, tires and trim.
3. Use sandpaper to buff down rough spots like rust. Use medium sandpaper, like 50 to 60 grit. Sand with a circular motion until the spot feels smooth and level with the area around it.
4. Fill in holes and dents with putty. Use a putty knife to smooth over the surface. Let the putty dry and smooth down with sandpaper until it is even with the rest of the car.
5. Prime the vehicle. You can apply the primer with a paintbrush. Let it dry completely before painting.
6. Go over the vehicle with thin coats of paint. Hold the nozzle of the electric spray painter about a foot from the car and spray in light, even strokes. Add enough coats to get the color that you want.
7. Apply clear coat. Clear coat comes in spray paint cans and can be applied with the electric spray painter just like the paint. You will need only 1 to 2 clear coats to give your car a nice glossy surface.