The Dangers Of Lysol Disinfectant Spray

The manufacturers of Lysol disinfectant spray claim that it kills a large number of germs in the air. All you need to do is spray the product around the house. You may not realize that the product is potentially dangerous to your home and your family. It’s best to always use caution when using any type of chemicals around your home, including those found in Lysol products. Does this Spark an idea?

Flammable

Lysol is potentially flammable and should always be stored at temperatures of no more than 130 degrees Fahrenheit. If you accidentally poke a hole in the can, it increases the chances of the product catching fire. The manufacturer also recommends not using Lysol disinfectant spray around open flames, sparks or heat. This means you shouldn’t use the product around heaters, stove burners or fireplaces. Smoking while using the product or in the vicinity of the Lysol also poses a potential risk.

Inhalation Dangers

Accidentally inhaling the product for an extended period may result in health problems. You may feel drowsy or tired and experience a cough. The product may also cause a severe headache. These problems are a result of the ethanol in Lysol. The carbon dioxide in the Lysol may also cause problems when inhaled, such as an increased breathing rate or difficulties concentrating. In severe cases, inhaling the carbon dioxide in the Lysol may even cause suffocation and death.

Skin Dangers

Exposure to Lysol disinfectant spray also presents problems associated with your skin. Skin irritation may occur when you accidentally touch the Lysol or if you’re exposed to the product for an extended period. If a problem develops, you’ll notice redness, such as a rash and possible itching. This is caused by the ethanol in the Lysol. Immediately wash the skin with soap and water and pat dry. If the problem persists or worsens, contact a medical professional.

Keep Yourself Safe

Lysol causes skin and eye irritation. If you accidentally get the spray on your hands, you should wash your hands right away with warm water and soap. Never chew gum, smoke, eat or drink while you have the product on your hands. You should call Poison Control right away if anyone ingests the Lysol or accidentally sprays it in his eyes. Flush the eyes by rinsing the eye out with cool water for at least 15 minutes. Only use the product with adequate ventilation in your home.