Anyone who has watched a professional baseball event broadcast has heard it, although you may not have noticed it: “The following telecast is a production of Major League Baseball; it may not be reproduced or retransmitted without the expressed written consent…” This legalese serves as a warning that people cannot use photos and video without permission. The same goes for logos, which are copyrighted. Before you use the MLB logo or a team logo, you’ll need permission.
1. Call Major League Baseball‘s license request office at 212-485-3444. Alternatively, you can send a fax to 212-485-3456. Advise the office that you are interested in using a logo and what you intend to use it for.
2. Write a pitch letter to Major League Baseball asking for permission to use the MLB logo. The mailing address is:
MLB Advanced Media, L.P.
75 Ninth Ave.
New York, NY 10011
3. Email the MLB’s licensing office and ask permission to use the logo. The contact email is email@example.com. It would be helpful if you attached an image or PDF file showing the recipient how you intend to use the logo.
4. Use the MLB shop logo if you are a registered affiliate. The MLB allows the use of the MLB shop logo as long as it remains unaltered.
5. Contact a particular MLB team if you are interested in using its logo. Each team manages its own logo, so it’s best to contact the club directly.